Sunday, August 05, 2007

I just bought Douglas Wolk's Reading Comics. I'm curious to read what he has to say about the Hernandez Brothers (a whole book should be devoted to them). While more are partial to Jaime Hernandez, I'm a fan of Gilbert. His whole Luba series is a masterpiece in all its daring, soap-operatic, rough-edged, dynastic glory.

Speaking of cross-genres, I wonder if there's a way to cross-pollinate graphic novels and poetry? Would you call it graphic poetry? Can Blake be considered a graphic poet? Doesn't quite have the same ring as graphic novelist. I don't know anyone who's even written an ekphrastic poem on the art of comics. I'll have to think about it.

3 Comments:

At 10:13 AM , Blogger Megan Kinney said...

I would say that Lang alumni, Austin English, is a graphic poet. Much of Charles and Christina was written during classes with Sekou Sundiata.

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/resources/interviews/3981/

 
At 1:06 AM , Blogger François Luong said...

The first two issues of Gary Sullivan have also been described as "graphic poems."

 
At 1:07 AM , Blogger François Luong said...

Oh, and Nick Bertozzi (or another member of the Act-I-Vate collective) adapted one of Nick Flynn's poem into a comic strip too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home