Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Parnassus is finally out. I have a long review essay on Asian American poetry. I am weary of critiquing anything under such a rubric, but in 2005-2007, this idea of Asian American poetry has been torqued and twisted by so many innovative poets that I thought why not. I review Mei-Mei Berssenbrugge's soon-to-be-classic "I Love Artists," Barbara Jane Reyes' "Poeta en San Francisco" and Shanxing Wang's "Mad Science in Imperial City."

I wanted to write a longer omnibus review that included the likes of Paolo Javier (his excellent "60 Love bo(e)mbs") Brian Kim Stefans and Linh Dinh, but alas, I had to narrow it to three.

As long as we're on the subject of Asianness, Action folks kindly sent me a copy of Kim Hyesoon's "Mommy Must Be a Fountain of Feathers." Profoundly disturbing. Will write more after I finish.

I was also pleased to find that Roger Gilbert wrote an erudite review of "Dance Dance Revolution" in the same issue of Parnassus. Shanna Compton also wrote a
perceptive review of it for Galatea Resurrects.

4 Comments:

At 6:50 AM , Blogger Tim Peterson said...

Cathy, I would be very interested to read your article. Do you use the term "post-identity," and what do you think of that term? Yes, those other poets are great too, especially Paolo...he is one of my favorite writers.

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger Cathy Park Hong said...

Hi Tim,

I do briefly discuss issues of post-identity but don't necessarily use that term. Or at least I hope I didn't. It's been so long since I wrote that essay that I don't even remember anymore. But thanks so much for your interest. The book should be available.

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger bjanepr said...

cathy - this is totally belated but i finally picked up a copy of parnassus poetry and wanted to thank you so much for your critical and awesome write-up of poeta en sf.

hope all is well! bjr

 
At 12:51 AM , Blogger Mia You said...

Hello,

This is, perhaps, a strange question to ask here, but I am hoping to invite you to an event at UC Berkeley this coming spring centered on Korean and Korean-American women poets. An email address, which you use for scheduling readings and other public appearances, would be greatly appreciated so that I can send a formal invitation to you right away.

Thank you. And apologies again for using your blog to make this inquiry. This seemed to be the most direct route.

Mia You

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home